Friday, September 14, 2012

"World Without Walls" Reflection

I read the article "World Without Walls: Learning Well with Others" by Will Richardson for an assignment. This article talked about how new technology such as blogs and Skype can help people, students specifically, learn much more than they could in a normal classroom. It also describes the mass opportunities for connection and learning that can be found.

Something I found really interesting in this article is the idea that effective teachers are found, not given to students. Richardson says that he believes that her kids, "best, most memorable, and most effective teachers will be the ones the discover, not the ones they are given." He says that educators must first be considered the connectors, and content experts second. He claims it is, " no slight against the people in their face-to-face classrooms" but if I were a teacher, I would be offended. I definitely believe teachers have a great impact on their students. They can motivate and inspire their kids in a way that no technology could ever replicate.

My sister is an English teacher who teaches in inner city schools. Although it is a hard job, it is extremely rewarding for her because she changes the kids' lives. Many of them would not have ever considered going to college if not for her. A teacher forces the kids to learn when many of them don't want to. I'm sure that in some cases, if the teacher merely "connected" the students, the students would choose not to grasp that connection. The bond created between a teacher and a student is extremely important for the student's learning ability and motivation.

I'm not trying to completely put down electronic learning. In a ever-developing scientific world it is important for young people to have the skills to use technology to their advantage. For example, I think these blogs are a great way of connecting our class to the technological world. It is vital for people to be able to adapt to the changes and by using the technology to our advantage, we can do just that. But, I believe there is a limit. I don't think there will ever come a time where electronic learning could replace a live classroom.

This topic definitely interests me a lot. I've always toyed with the idea of becoming an educator, so I'd really like to learn more about the evolution of learning.


My Annotated Article

No comments:

Post a Comment